113-115 Louisiana Avenue

C.A. Hoffman Grocery and Restaurant

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

C.A. Hoffman Grocery and Restaurant:

 

This undated photograph shows the hardware store built by Brown & Hunt in 1865, owners of a local foundry of that name, perhaps as a retail outlet for items they made such as cast iron plows, kettles, and stoves. The next owner was Bostwick & Tyler who later moved to Toledo to start the wholesale firm of Bostwick, Braun & Co., one of Toledo's oldest existing firms. It was typical of frame downtown buildings of that time, with living quarters upstairs. The front entrance shows a display of produce, fruit, baskets and tubs, and sacked grain or flour. 

grocery

113-115 Louisiana Avenue

 In 1889, Christopher A. Hoffman bought the building from German immigrant John Schwind, and in 1891, he sold the saloon and restaurant section to his father but continued running the grocery business. They put in steel roofing and a pressed steel ceiling and installed a private water system fed by a well and elevated tank. The building burned down in 1901, and the site is now occupied by the Amon Building. 

slide up button