115 West Front Street

Getz House, Store, and Saloon

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

Getz House, Store, and Saloon:

 

Built ca. 1865, this brick structure eventually became an integral part of what is commonly known as the old Rheinfrank Hospital, but it originally looked like this when it was the home, grocery, and saloon of the George Getz family. 

The L-shaped house was built just above Perrysburg's then warehouses, mills and river shipping docks and was both the residence and business place of the Getz family. In the rear is a one and a half-story extension that may have housed the Getz Grocery and Saloon, a not an uncommon combination a century or more ago.

house

115 West Front Street

Later Getz offered the public a seasonal ice cream parlor and oyster bar.

George Getz was born in 1830 and, along with his father and brother Frederick, was among a company of 72 Bavarians from near Munich, Germany, who immigrated and landed at Perrysburg on June 11, 1852. In 1861 he was among those incorporating the St. Rose de Lima Catholic Church congregation which the same year bought the Universalist Church, located across the street to the west of the present St. Rose building, for worship. 

Getz was also one of the signers of the resolution pledging to build a new court house here in 1872. That did not result as intended in getting the county seat returned here, but it did give the village and township the old Town Hall which was a popular landmark until 1963 when it was torn down. Upon his retirement, he lived with a daughter in Toledo until his death at age 77, in 1907.

Getz was among a colony of Bavarians who came here in 1852. In 1897, Dr. John H. Rheinfrank had his architect son, George, add a wing and convert the building into a hospital.

slide up button