125 East Front Street
John Hollister House
Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage
John Hollister House:
In 1823, John Hollister, an early and prominent settler, chose the property directly east of the foot of Louisiana Avenue for his house, which for years was a showplace of the northwestern Ohio frontier. While it preceded the Second Empire style, it has its most common similarity, the distinctive mansard roof with dormer windows. A tall cupola with three windows originally topped the roof, and a wide porch in the rear offered a fine view of the river.
Hollister was a forwarding and commission merchant, the owner of a line of steamboats, a judge, a postmaster, a mayor, and a member of the Ohio legislature. Presidential candidate William H. Harrison addressed a crowd in front of the residence in 1840, and over the years well into the 20th century, the place saw visitors such as Daniel Webster, William McKinley, Warren Harding, and Nicholas Longworth.
In 1940, fire destroyed the then 117-year-old house while the owners were out of town.
125 East Front Street - Original Construction
125 East Front Street - Later Additions
They quickly set about to replace it with a similar Second Empire design. The above photograph, date unknown, shows changes made over time in the Hollister house before it burned.