100 West Front Street

The First Courthouse

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

The First Courthouse:

 

Perrysburg's earliest buildings were made of abundantly available logs. This is a depiction of the first Wood County courthouse built in 1823 by Daniel Hubbell and Guy Nearing and used as such for 14 years. It was located about 200 feet west of Louisiana Avenue on the south side of West Front Street next door to what was to be the site of the Exchange Hotel, built in the same year.

courthouse

100 West Front Street

Logs were of hand-hewn oak 24 by 32 feet in size. Finished lumber was milled in Monclova, and bricks for the chimney were made at Hubbell's brickworks across the river. 

The building had offices on the first floor and the courtroom on the second, reached by an outside stairway not shown in this sketch. A log jail, in use until 1847, was moved here and located behind the courthouse. It was enlarged to include foot-square wall and floor timbers secured by pins. Windows consisted of mere slits in the logs. All of this construction cost more than the money on hand, so contractors were paid off with town lots valued at $12 each.

slide up button