111 Louisiana Avenue
The Moser Building
Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage
The Moser Building:
By a whisker or two, it just might be Perrysburg's tallest downtown building, though still only three stories. It's the Moser Building at 111 Louisiana Avenue, originally built, or at least under construction, in 1900.
Called Commercial Colonial in style, the narrow 22-foot wide brick building was designed by local architect George B. Rheinfrank, Sr., for George W. Moser who, by the end of his life, owned a number of Perrysburg business properties.
According to the local newspaper, the ground floor was designed for a cafe featuring a 20-foot mahogany bar with a back bar of massive golden oak with French plate glass mirrors. The second floor was arranged as living apartments, while the third was designed as a public hall. Some sources suggest that the latter was in time used as a dance hall, a gambling parlor, and the town's first amusement hall, or nickelodeon.
The roof is stepped and there is a projecting eave with scrolled mullions running across the top frieze with dentils. Quoin-like brick panels extend vertically from the second to the third floor and frame the facade. There are two small chimneys on the south side, and a concrete block building has been added to the rear. O. J. Evans Jewelry and Charley Mills Barber Shop were also early tenants. Later occupants over the years have included Powers Insurance Agency, Service Hardware and Edwin K. Davey Interiors.
111 Louisiana Avenue
George Moser was born on a farm on the Maumee River near Waterville in 1873. In 1893 he bought and operated the Chris Hoffman grocery and restaurant located in a landmark frame building erected in 1856 as a hardware store next door to where he was to erect the present building. That hardware store was succeeded by Bostwick & Tyler which later moved to Toledo to become Bostwick, Braun & Company.
Mr. Moser and his family then lived above the store. Early in 1900, he began construction of the new building, and just in time, for some months later the frame structure was destroyed in a fire. Mr. Moser later operated the Moser Garage. He was also a former superintendent of the Village Water Works.
George Moser suffered a heart attack and died in 1951 at age 78 while on a visit in California.