114 Louisiana Avenue
The Citizens Bank Building
Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage
The Citizens Bank Building:
It's not an old historic downtown building, but it has recently changed ownership and attention has been focused on it as it has been converted to other use. It is the property easily identified with (by a wide frieze with inscribed lettering) as the former Citizens Banking Company at 114 Louisiana.
It was built in 1926 at a cost of $75,000 to house what was claimed to be the oldest bank in Wood County. It was designed by the Pittsburgh and Columbus bank architectural firm of Simmons, Brittain and English and the work was supervised by Harold H. Munger, local Perrysburg architect. The style of the building is of the Italian Renaissance tradition which features arches, but one architectural researcher has called that style "Neoclassical" which was popular for banks and libraries during the first half of the 20th century.
114 Louisiana Avenue
Nathaniel L. Hanson came here from school teaching in Columbus, Dayton and Sidney as a bookkeeper in 1871. He became teller of the Exchange Bank then located two doors north in the brick building built that year and later occupied by Zachman & Associates, Realtors. When that bank was liquidated in 1879, Hanson took over the building and founded the Citizens Bank which became an incorporated state bank in 1892 with a capital stock of $50,000.
Associated with him were James E. Dunipace and Mortimer A. Trowbridge, and early stockholders and officers included James H. Pierce, James O. Troup, J. Davis, D. K. Hollenbeck, Drs. H. A. Hamilton and J. H. Rheinfrank, E. L. Kingsbury, John and William Perrin, J. G. and Chris, A. Hoffman, Nicholas Wedertz and John Kohl.
Nathaniel Hanson died in 1903 and his son Norman L. Hanson took over as cashier and general manager until he retired from active management and was replaced by R. R. Hartshorn.
The elder Hanson had thoughtfully acquired the property next door and in 1926 the directors, then headed by George Munger Sr., constructed the present building. It is of brick but with an Indiana limestone facade on the front and south elevations, with a parapet at the roof. A massive stone arch dominates the front, at the center of which is a scroll-shape bracket decorated with acanthus leaves. Within the arch is a large window, and at the street level are two narrow windows with wrought iron grills.
On the south, or alley side, are three Romanesque arches with scroll-shape keystone brackets. The center arch has had a modern drive-by service window added. Inside, there are two mezzanine floors and a 25-foot ceiling which at some more recent time was dropped and covered. A recent current occupant, restored the attractive ornamental ceiling several years ago when the interior was renovated for retail business. The building's full basement was originally used for a community meeting room.