117 Louisiana Avenue

The Amon Building

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

The Amon Building:

 

The narrow three-story Italianate facade of the Amon Building at 117 Louisiana is one of our most recognizable Victorian-era commercial structures.

There seems to be conflicting information on exactly when and who built the building. One source indicates it was built by John Amon in 1877 who later sold it to his son John Jr. Another indicates it was built by Rudolph Danz for his bakery in 1888 and he later sold it to John Amon Jr. In either case, it is known as the Amon Building and that family name is the subject owner in this piece.

John Amon Sr., born in 1824, was among a colony of 72 German immigrants, all apparently from a single Catholic parish in Bavaria, who came here in 1852 bringing and establishing names long familiar here. They included the Schwinds, Mungers, Hillabrands, Hoffmans, Aults and others who helped drain the Black Swamp and establish businesses in Perrysburg. John Amon Sr. died in 1889. Toward the end of the century the building came into the possession of John Amon Jr. who operated a hardware store there from 1891 until 1926.

building

117 Louisiana Avenue

He also served as a township treasurer and at one time village councilman.

The front of the building features double-hung windows (6/6 in the third story, 2/2 in the second) with carved arched keystone lentils and carved sills. There is a brick cornice with dentils and a stepped roofline with four evenly spaced chimneys.

During the 1930s an ice cream parlor occupied the ground floor and from 1940 until 1945, while the building was owned by Isaly Dairy Company.

Later Geralda Pheatt ran a ladies apparel shop in the building called the Perry Petite, and then Harriet's, also a ladies apparel shop operated by Judy Hart, occupied the first floor for many years.

slide up button