125 Locust Street

The Barnes House

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

The Barnes House:

 

French Provincial-style houses in Perrysburg are rare to say the least, but the builder intended this one at 125 Locust Street to be one, and it has definite identifying features of that architectural style. It was built by Mr. and Mrs. Horace Y. Barnes in 1932.

Some prefer to call its style French Eclectic or less often Jacobethan. It was designed by Toledo architects Mills, Rhines, Bellman and Nordhoff, and it features typical details of the style that was fashionable in the 1930's.

house

125 Locust Street

The walls are brick-clad along with stucco and false timbering, features sometimes shared with Medieval English tradition. This, as well as roofs of tile, stone, etc. are common to both. As a result, French Eclectic houses, typically found in Normandy and Brittany, often resemble the Tudor style. The roof is steeply pitched, with cross gables, a massive chimney with ornamentation, and casement windows with multi-panel glazing. A most eye-catching feature of this house is the medieval-like round tower with a conical roof.

Mr. and Mrs. Barnes were prominent in the Toledo metropolitan area. Mary Barnes (now Mary Batsch and living in Florida) is the daughter of Gordon Mather, founder and CEO of Mather Spring Company, one of the important automotive suppliers of its time. He built a magnificent East River Road mansion that was torn down in the late 1980s when Waterford Plat was developed. In the interest of his employees, Mr. Mather bought a Morris Plan Bank to Toledo, and he also was a founder of Toledo Trust Company and a director of First National Bank.

Horace Barnes, now deceased, also was from a prominent Toledo family which on his mother's side was related to Jessup Scott (once a Perrysburg resident) for whom Scott High School and Scott Park are named. He too was an executive in the Morris Plan Bank and at the Mather Spring Company.

This house was built during the depths of the Depression when Mrs. Batsch had just married, and she recalls it being about the sole construction going on in the village at the time.

slide up button