131 Louisiana Avenue
The Perrysburg Banking Company
Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage
The Perrysburg Banking Company:
The Perrysburg Banking Company building was constructed in 1906 at 131 Louisiana.
The original portion of this familiar downtown building, now the Huntington Bank, consisted of the long narrow portion seen above the wood and stone ground floor facade.
Obviously there was no drive-through service (or "free checking") when it was built. Built of historic cast river sand blocks and designed by local architect George B. Rheinfrank Sr., the building has since undergone two fairly major changes in exterior appearance.
131 Louisiana Avenue
The first, in 1959, was an overlaying of brick on the lower half of the facade and southwest corner, and changing of the entrance which had originally featured a plate glass window topped by ornamental prism glass popular at the time.At the same time, structures north of the building were acquired and razed to provide parking. The structural change was generally unpopular with some citizens, and was replaced in 1979 with the present white wooden fascia. A one-story addition on the north side and the drive-through portico (also on the north side) were made at the time.
The original interior was described as featuring a commodious banking room with entrances from both streets, a small back room with table and chairs for the private use of customers, and, in the rear of this, a Board of Directors' room. Entrance to the six-room upstairs was through a vestibule in the middle of the building, entering from Second Street.
The bank was incorporated on May 22, 1906, with capital stock of $50,000 divided into 500 shares. Edgar L. Kingsbury was president, E. E. Dow (a Toledo wholesale grocer), vice president, and Thomas M. Franey, cashier. Among the first directors from here were J. J. Amon, George Craig, V. M. Bradfield, Henry Uthoff, E. L. Kingsbury and Thomas Franey.
In 1962 the Perrysburg Banking Company merged with the Bank of Wood County, and in 1974 that institution became part of Huntington National Bank.
Edward L. Kingsbury was one of Perrysburg's and Wood County's most prominent citizens. Born in Hartford, Connecticut. In 1845, he came to Ohio and operated a farm in Defiance County west of here before moving to Perrysburg in 1877. He bought a grocery store that then occupied half of the brick building at Front Street and Louisiana Avenue, and for the next half century was one of this area's most active businessmen.
He was very active in civic and social work, serving among many other things as president and owner of the E. L. K. Builders' Supply Company, councilman for several terms, Mayor, member of the Board of Education, member of the board of managers of Way Library, Township Trustee and Treasurer, County Commissioner, and Wood County Sheriff for two terms. He also was a member of the local Masonic Lodge, the Knights of Pythias, and the Methodist Church.
Mr. Kingsbury had served in an Ohio volunteer infantry unit during the Civil War and was familiarly called "Colonel". He died in 1929 at age 84.