138 West Fifth Street

The Smith House

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

The Smith House:

 

This neat frame home at 138 West Fifth Street was built in 1853 by a man who came here to visit his sister, and then stayed on to contribute much to the community and county. His name was Addison Smith.

Smith was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in 1809 and was educated at the College of Cannonsburg in that state. He came here from Wooster to visit in 1832 and then stayed on and was engaged in the mercantile business with Shibnah Spink for a number of years.The house he built of simple Greek Revival temple style. It is front gabled with a familiar elliptical fanlight, and returned cornices. An addition to the rear is believed to have been done around the turn of the 19th century.

house

138 West Fifth Street

In 1840 Addison Smith was elected auditor of Wood County and served in that capacity for 16 years. He also served a term as representative in the Ohio Legislature. Closer to home, he was a frequent member of Village Council and served several terms as mayor and was township treasurer. He was also a member of the Board of Education for five year, and took a leading role in building the Union School here, later destroyed by fire.

Smith apparently was also a man with inventive genius, holding some 12 or 15 patents on various inventions, and quite a few for which he did not apply. One patent was for a propeller wheel for  gunboats. The federal government adopted the idea in 1846 and employed him to oversee their installation. Another, said to be his last, was a tack driving machine used for making such things as wooden fruit boxes which was once a local industry.

Addison Smith died here in 1874 at the age of 65.

slide up button