146 West Front Street

The Pierce House

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

The Pierce House:

 

A fine example of high Queen Anne style residential architecture sits at 146 West Front Street. It is the James H. Pierce house built sometime after 1885 when he bought the land on which it sits for $500. Other than the front porch, few alterations have been made in the house over the years.

James Pierce was an early merchant in Toledo and a two-term mayor of Perrysburg. He was born in New York State in 1831 and moved here in 1857 to be in the lumber business in which he continued until 1872.In that year he was elected county commissioner, an office he held for nine years. He was also an elected member of the local board of education and in 1893 a township trustee. For seven years he was proprietor of the old Exchange Hotel on Front Street.

The well-preserved house has a steep gabled roof with three small dovecotes under the peak.

house

146 West Front Street

The double attic windows have ornate moldings and there are a large variety of classical windows dominated by varying mullions and panels, including three long, rectangular, windows to the left of the second story bay. A balustrade runs around the entire roof of the front porch and the main entry has double doors with large etched panes. A wooden water table runs around the entire house and the foundation is of fieldstone.

James Pierce was one of the signers of the resolution to build the old Town Hall and give it to the county for a courthouse if the seat was returned here from Bowling Green. He was also one of the "Squirrel Hunter" volunteers who went to the defense of threatened Cincinnati during the Civil War. 

He was a Republican and a member of Phoenix Lodge, F. & A. M. Pierce died in 1894 at age 63.

slide up button