201 Louisiana Avenue

The Eberly Building

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

The Eberly Building:

 

Another of our venerable downtown buildings is the one at 201 Louisiana, identified now as the DiSalle Real Estate Company building, but built over 130 years ago by John Eberly.

John Eberly was born in Germany in 1822 and came to Perrysburg in 1848. He was a shoemaker by trade and presumably was working at it in 1867 when he purchased the corner lot from Dr. Erasmus D. Peck, subdivided it, and kept the northern 22 feet for a retail boot and shoe establishment -- back when much footwear was custom made on site.

The commercial brick Renaissance Italianate two-story building has a flat sloping roof and its most significant feature is the arcaded corbelled cornice in the front.

Three interior chimneys project from the north roof line, and original tall windows have been shortened with modern casement windows. One north and one east window have been bricked over. The modern Colonial motif wood paneled front has a recessed entrance.

building

201 Louisiana Avenue

The John Eberly boot and shoe store changed its name to J. Eberly and Son in 1876 when Frederick C. joined his father in the business. In 1889 he purchased the store and it continued in the family until Frederick retired in 1926. The senior Eberly died in 1893. For many years Miss Lena Emch operated a millinery shop on the second floor, and the building was at one time as a restaurant.

John Eberly was a respected merchant and long-time superintendent of the German Methodist Episcopal Church. He was also one of the signers of the resolution to build a new courthouse (later known as Town Hall) and give it to the county if the county seat was returned here from Bowling Green.

slide up button