203 East Second Street

The Hanson House

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

The Hanson House:

 

This fine old brick Italianate house at 203 East Second Street across from Kazmaier's Grocery Store was built in about 1876 by prominent Perrysburg banker, Nathaniel L. Hanson.

Born in New Hampshire in 1827, Mr. Hanson's education at Dartmouth College was interrupted by the Civil War and after a time he came here in 1871 as teller of the short-lived Exchange Bank. In 1979 he organized the Citizens Bank, later called the Citizens Banking Company, which operated under that name until recent years. He served as cashier and manager until the time of his death in 1903.

house

203 East Second Street

The two-story house with its truncated hipped roof with a cap is said to have cost $5,000 at the time--a considerable amount. Typical of the time, it most likely had a frame porch across the front. Incised, carved brackets at the roof line support a broad cornice beneath which is a dentil pattern. The tall windows on the Second Street side feature carved lintels, and the double door entrance is topped by a transom of beautifully etched glass. The two-story bay window walls on the west side are three-sided while the one on the east wall is square.

Mr. Hanson was a typical civic-minded business leader, serving as a member of the Board of Education, as a manager of the Way Library Board and a village councilman. He was a leader in the Presbyterian Church and belonged to the local Knights of Pythias. He died in 1893 at the age of 66.

slide up button