215 East Second Street
The Munger House
Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage
The Munger House:
For over 110 years this fine old Queen Anne style frame house at 215 East Second Street was in the Munger family.The property on which the house sits was in the original 1816 Perrysburg plat and was first purchased in 1849. An early out-building sat on it at the end of the Civil War, but in 1887 George Munger, Sr. bought the property from Julia Spafford and in 1890 built this house whose outside appearance is virtually unchanged today.
George Munger was born here in 1854. His father (also named George) and mother came to Perrysburg from near Bamberg in Bavaria, Germany in 1846 and settled on a just plotted river tract off East River Road.
215 East Second Street
They preceded a group of 72 German immigrants from the same area who arrived six years later and who were the nucleus of the founders of Saint Rose Church.
A self-made man and eldest of nine children, Mr. Munger took over the family at age 13 after the accidental death of his father. He spent his early life clearing the dense forest which surrounded the little clearing that was then Perrysburg. He later became involved with cattle and in 1879, with his brother John, established a butcher shop. The following year they bought the building at 123 Louisiana, and for 50 years Munger Brothers Meat Market was a downtown landmark.
But that was far from the extent of the business. In 1888 the brothers bought the land just south of Fort Meigs Union Cemetery for a cattle yard and slaughterhouse. It was part of a wholesale operation that for many years supplied Toledo and northwest Ohio customers, including some of the best restaurants. The brothers bought and shipped cattle here by rail from Chicago and as far away as Texas.
The paired column wrap-around front porch of the house features a dentiled cornice, a balustrade and latticework underneath. Heavy overhangs and a tall chimney accentuated the steep pitch of the Victorian hipped roof. The large gable has an elliptical, or lunette, window (there is another on the west side of the house), and a projecting bay window adds interest to the east side of the structure.
Being quite active in civic affairs, Mr. Munger was a village councilman for many years, a member of the first board of Public Affairs, and a member of the Water Works Board. He was also a charter member of the Exchange Club, one of the organizers of the Perrysburg Tile and Brick Company, an officer in Perrysburg Grain and Seed Company, and for more than 30 years the president and a director of the Citizens Banking Company. He died in 1935 at the age of 81.
A son, the late Harold H. Munger, during his long occupancy of the house, eventually made it into a duplex with a side entrance. He also added a screened porch on the northeast side. His son, Harold C., and his wife also raised their family here.