219 Louisiana Avenue
The Lucas Building
Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage
The Lucas Building:
To many people it will always be known as Broske's -- for years a favorite breakfast and conversation retreat for local merchants and politicians. But that's only the front addition to the old Second French Empire style building located at 219 Louisiana.
The brick portion of the building was built in the late 1800s, probably by Henry Lucas who succeeded his father Diedrick in the grocery business. Henry Lucas was doing business there at the turn the century.
The original part of the building, which has had many additions over the years, was a combination home and grocery.
In the early 1940s H. L. Ford and his wife Vallie operated an ice cream parlor and restaurant in the downstairs and lived upstairs. Earlier it was a grocery store operated by D. C. Whitehead.
219 Louisiana Avenue
Diedrick Lucas, who in local records was always identified as D. Lucas, was born in Hanover, Germany in 1820. At the age of 27 after several years experience as a grocery clerk, he came to America, first locating to California. He came to Perrysburg in 1854 and opened a grocery business.
During the next 40 years he was a leading merchant and citizen. He served as township treasurer and school board member a number of terms, and as village councilman in 1879 and 1880. He is described as having devoted much time to the study of literature. He could read German and Latin, and he was supposedly a shrewd businessman who amassed considerable wealth in land and property. He died in 1894 at the age of 74.
The distinctive mansard roof the building (where armed S. W. A. T. members perched during President Ronald Reagan's visit here) has two dormers with eyebrow heads. There is a large overhang with dentils and supporting brackets. The second level of the brick facade has double hung sash windows with stone knobbed lintels. On the north side of the ground level there is a small Queen Anne style porch.
The first story has been greatly altered with wood siding, including a multi-paneled Colonial style store front window and doors with pediments and fluted pilasters. What appears to be only one addition on the northeast side is actually four. Three are brick and wood and the fourth is a shed-like structure built on stilts and platform with a gabled roof.