227 West Second Street

The McKnight House

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

The McKnight House:

 

This attractive house at 227 West Second Street is described in our historical inventory as Catalog Italianate with Gothic influence. It was built between 1865 and 1872 by John H. McKnight, a descendant of one of the first settlers in this area.

In the late 1930s the Glen Charles family did extensive renovation and remodeling of this house, so how much of its present look is original is unknown. It is known that there was once a front porch.

Not much is known about John McKnight, other than he was born here in 1827 and during the 1850s operated a grocery store on Louisiana Avenue. He died at age 66, in 1893.

house

227 West Second Street

But he was a descendent of Thomas McKnight who first lived at Orleans of the North on the flats just upriver from the Fort Meigs Memorial Bridge. During the War of 1812 he was a solider at Fort Meigs and in 1819 acquired a lot in the first block of West Front Street where he built a log cabin. He was later to become clerk of the Wood County Court of Common Pleas, county recorder, township justice of the peace, and Perrysburg's first postmaster.

The facade of this house features a multi-pane bay window with a central window flanked by what resembles sidelights. A single narrow shuttered window in the front gable is below the peak which is ornamented by incised woodwork and a short pendant.

The east elevation has a small setback porch with a supporting Doric column. This and the gabled dormer are among known later additions.

slide up button