241 East Front Street
The Frederick R. Miller House
Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage
The Frederick R. Miller House:
This classic brick Italianate house that stands at 241 East Front Street was built by Frederick R. Miller about 1872. It is called one of the most beautiful and well preserved of its kind in northwest Ohio.
Frederick Miller was the prominent Perrysburg merchant who, in 1876, built the Centennial Block at Front and Louisiana. The F. R. Miller Company sold groceries and dry goods there for many years.
The Miller home has a hipped roof with iron cresting. Attractive single brackets support a wide overhanging roof with dentils. Frieze windows are directly below, with a corbelled brick molding beneath them.
241 East Front Street
The facade has narrow one-over-one double-hung sash windows with incised stone lintels on the second floor. The principal eye-catcher is the spectacular stamped tin front portico with corner urns resting atop a baluster supported by ornamental columns featuring thick composite capitals (tops). The double entrance door has round arched glass panels with a floral etched transom. There is also an entrance portico on the east side supported by square columns. A stone water table extends around the house and there is a two-story brick carriage house, with matching patterns and a mansard roof, located in the rear of the property.
Frederick R. Miller was born in Hanover, Germany in 1828. His father, a mercenary soldier, received medals from British King George III for bravery at the Battle of Waterloo. The younger Miller came to Perrysburg in 1850 from Cincinnati and was associated in business with Dr. Erasmus D. Peck and his son, Henry. During the Civil War he was a lieutenant colonel and commandant at Fort Henry in Baltimore. Over the years, Miller served as councilman, village clerk and mayor, and was elected to the board of education. He also was township clerk, one of the organizers of the Perrysburg Savings and Loan Association, and cashier of the short-lived Exchange Bank.
After some 30 years here, he sold his business interests and moved to Colorado. He died while making his home in St. Joseph, Missouri, in 1913, at age 85.