The Walbridge House
Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage
The Walbridge House:
Several homes now occupy the grounds of the local estate once known as Stonecroft, but the original manor house still sits back out of sight on the riverbank at what is 28627 Stonecroft near East Boundary Street and the beginning of East River Road.
The huge Tudor style house, built by industrialist and glass pioneer William S. Walbridge in about 1917, is one of the first permanent mansions that replaced prominent Toledoans' summer cottages on the river.
William Spooner Walbridge descended from an old New England family and was born in Boston in 1854. He began his work career in his family's furniture business there but in 1898 sold his interest and joined the Toledo Glass Company as treasurer.
Over a period of nearly 40 years he led and was involved in businesses that were the forerunners of Owens-Illinois and Libbey-Owens-Ford, working with people such as Michael J. Owens and Edmund Drummond Libbey (whose sister he married) when they were laying the foundations for the glass industry in Toledo. He was president of Kent-Owens Company, manufacturers of special automatic machines used by Owens Bottle Company (of which he was also vice president) and president of Libbey-Owens Sheet Glass Company and Westlake Machine Company. He was also involved in local banking management.
The house he built was designed by Toledo architect Harry W. Wachter, assisted by Thomas Best and Horace Wachter. The landscape architect was Olmstead Brothers of Brookline, Massachusetts, who designed the grounds of several of the East River Road estates.
The three-story house, built of wood, stucco and brick, is set among deep ravines and a stream. The entrance is across a small stone bridge. The structure is neatly asymmetrical with a steeply pitched roof, rectangle and octagon half-timbered wall patterns broken occasionally by a diagonal timber and massive stone chimneys typical of the Tudor style. A large patio in the rear overlooks the Maumee River.
Mr. Walbridge lived in this house until his death in 1935 at the age of 81.