29953 Sussex Road
The Thompson House
Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage
The Thompson House:
There are several good reasons to include this beautiful East River Road house in the collection of historic homes. First, it was the first of the large permanent mansions built along the river. Second, it was built by a Perrysburg native, Henry L. Thompson, Sr., and third, its architectural style is a blend, inside and out, of several classic styles, Tudor, Norman, Georgian and Jacobethan.
29953 Sussex Road
The multi-room house built in 1915, designed by the Cleveland architectural firm of Walker and Weeks, features multiple front gables, a slate roof, large elaborate chimneys, and several sections with half-timbered walls. Best of all, the home has been changed very little since it stood isolated as the manor house on 25 acres that constituted the self-supporting Thompson Farm. This consisted of a well-tended orchard, grape arbor, berry patches, vegetable and flower gardens, an attractive brick barn (now converted to two residences) housing a dairy herd, many chickens and horses, a huge seven-section greenhouse for exotic plants, and a facility where milk and cream were separated and cottage cheese made. The acreage is all now part of the Hamlet development.
H. L. Thompson was born and raised in Perrysburg. At an early age he went to work as an office boy for Bostwick-Braun Company, the wholesale hardware firm, and by 1907 was its president.
He was also involved in Toledo banking, heading the former Toledo Trust Company and helping it keep afloat through the depression. Over his lifetime he became one of the most powerful and respected businessmen in Toledo. Mr. Thompson died in 1939 at the age of 67.