30465 East River Road

The Bentley House

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

The Bentley House:

 

Built in 1926, Woodgate was the name of the estate and home chosen by Thomas Bentley, owner of the A. L. Bentley & Sons Construction Company. 

Representing one of many subtypes of Georgian architecture, this three-story house with a slate hipped roof and one ell angling slightly has dormers, windows horizontally and vertically aligned, decorative keystones above each window, and the cornice emphasized by tooth-like dentils. The two-car-wide porte-cochere with balustrade replaced a narrower original one, and the eight-foot-tall windows on the downstairs right were originally double-hung and had shutters. 

house

30465 East River Road

It is interesting that the only wood used in the framing of this house was for the roof rafters. The floors, walls, and partitions are reinforced concrete and masonry. 

Bentley was the son of Anderton Bentley, who came here from England to found the firm in about 1872. The firm built many of the Toledo area's major buildings and other structures throughout the country.

slide up button