308 West Front Street
The Hamilton House
Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage
The Hamilton House:
Another of Perrysburg's well known doctors of years past was H. A. Hamilton who built this Greek Revival-Italianate home at 308 West Front Street.Horatio Arnold Hamilton descended from a long line of New England physicians. Born in Somers, Connecticut, in 1829, he graduated from the State University of New York medical school and practiced several years in Springfield, Massachusetts. He came to Perrysburg in 1854 to take the place of Dr. James Robertson, a partner of Dr. Erasmus D. Peck who was Hamilton's uncle. Dr. Robertson had died of cholera during his care of victims in the great epidemic here.
308 West Front Street
Some time in the early 1870s Dr. Hamilton built this house on property he had owned for some years. It has a ranked cornice with entablature and brackets supporting soffits every 10 feet. There are ornamental sawn wood finials atop the window pediments in the second story.
The Victorian porch is supported by slender columns with jigsaw scroll brackets at each impost. Matching pilasters are on either side of the double doors which feature round headed openings containing original etched glass. Tall, narrow parlor windows only 8 to 10 inches off the floor reach nearly to ceiling. The house has been extensively added to, with a two-story portion on the west end and to the rear.
Dr. Hamilton was active in civic and business affairs and was one of the organizers of Perrysburg Savings and Loan Association. He served as a vice president of the old Exchange Bank and was a partner in Peck and Hamilton Hardware. He was also a Freemason and active in Whig, then Republican, politics.
The local newspaper said this about Dr. Hamilton in connection with the difficulties of practicing medicine here at the time: "In his course of circuit riding, Dr. H. A. Hamilton goes well prepared for all emergencies. He carries with him in his buggy a saddle which he uses to great advantage in approaching farm house located in the interior of the Black Swamp."