326 West Front Street

The Stubbs House

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

The Stubbs House:

 

A distinctive original feature of this essentially Greek Revival home at 326 West Front Street built in about 1853 was "saw tooth" bargeboards adorning the front gable overhang. The removal does not detract from the frame building's general attractiveness.

The house was built by James F. Stubbs. Local records reveal little about him other than that he was born in Cumberland County Pennsylvania in 1811 and came to Perrysburg in 1835. At one point he was listed as being employed by a lake steamer firm.

this old house

326 West Front Street

This partly explains why in later years he and James L. Douglas operated a warehouse below what is now Hood Park when Perrysburg was a busy lakes port.

Stubbs bought the lot on which he built his house from Thomas McKnight in 1851. The facade has three vertical divisions with six-over-one double hung windows with shutters. The front entrance is recessed with sidelights and is flanked by pilasters with a complete entablature above. The garage may have once been a carriage house, and significant additions have been made on the sides and rear. The house was sold to the Hollenbeck family in 1865 and was in their possession for more than 80 years.

James Stubbs was one of the organizers of the Perrysburg Savings and Loan Association, a member of the Maumee Valley Monumental Association, and of the Baptist Church. He served a term on Village Council in 1861 and died at age 80 in 1891. He is buried in Fort Meigs Union Cemetery.

slide up button