345 East Front Street

The Henry P. Averill House

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

The Henry P. Averill House:

 

Henry P. Averill was one of Perrysburg's most respected citizens and he is associated with this grand old two-story frame house that stands at 345 East Front on the corner of Front and Maple Streets. 

Mr. Averill, a native of Hartford, Connecticut, came to Perrysburg in 1844. For a number of years he was a partner with Dr. Erasmus D. Peck in the Peck & Averill Flour Mill that served a large portion of the surrounding counties. After the partnership was dissolved he stayed in the milling business.

house

345 East Front Street

He and his wife Asenath, a sister of Dr. Peck, owned a large portion of the corner of their block, and in the 1870's transferred the west part of it to their son, Henry E. Averill.

The senior Averill's house, built in 1846, is Greek Revival, though experts point out elements of the Federal style. The broad eaves are a most unusual feature in a house of either period. The house sits on a stylobate or course of masonry forming the foundation for a colonnade, like a Greek temple, and has a rubblestone foundation. There is an elliptical fanlight in the pediment, and corner pilasters. The porch is Doric with a pediment portico. There are later additions to the west wall and especially at the rear. The interior woodwork is said to be particularly noteworthy for its architectural detail.

At some point Mr. Averill relocated to St. Louis, Missouri, but he returned to build his son's house. He later retired to Florida where he died in 1878.

slide up button