345 West Front Street

The Dodge House

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

The Dodge House:

 

This house at 345 West Front, of Queen Anne style if any, may have been on the site of an earlier house, or it may date from the late 1880s.

The river side of Front Street has always been a popular place for houses.

If there was a house here before, it would have been built between about 1835 and 1838 by a Jeremiah A. Scott, judging from county conveyance records. If not, the present one was probably built by Henry H. Dodge, a very prominent citizen in the village of Perrysburg.

house

345 West Front Street

The irregular roof line includes a front pediment within a pediment over an off-center entrance, whose door has narrow glazing and is flanked by sidelights. The windows have simple decorative crowns. The back of the house overhangs a steep slope down to the river, and extensive remodeling has been done in recent years, including a sizeable addition to the west side.

Henry H. Dodge (not to be confused with the late Henry M. Dodge of here) was born in New York state in 1830 and came to Perrysburg in 1852. He had graduated from St. John's College in New York City but finished his preparation for the practice of law in the offices of John C. Spink and James Murray, early Perrysburg attorneys.

When Spink died, Mr. Dodge became a partner in the firm which continued until Murray's election as Attorney General of Ohio in 1859. Mr. Dodge then became associated with James R. Tyler.

In 1877, he was elected judge of the common pleas court where he served for 10 years while living in Bowling Green. He returned to Perrysburg where he lived until his death in 1898.

He was considered the "dean" of the Wood County bar and his funeral was said to be one of the largest ever here.

slide up button