422 East Second Street

The Josiah Miller House

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4





small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object


Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

The Josiah Miller House:


This well-kept frame house at 422 East Second Street was built in about 1850 by Josiah Miller, a well-known Perrysburg carpenter.

It was originally of simple Greek Revival design, but was remodeled in the early 1900s probably adding the Colonial Revival styling.

The most eye-catching feature of the yellow frame structure is the three Colonial Revival gabled dormers that echo the design of the pediment over the front entrance.


422 East Second Street

Below the low-pitched roof in the facade is a wide frieze board at the ends of which are massive wraparound pilasters designed to represent supporting columns topped by Doric-style capitals. Windows are 6/6.

The centered front entrance has a full entablature under the pediment and the door is surrounded by a transom and side lights. Inside, there is a brick fireplace in the former cellar, probably once used for cooking. Oak log floor joists with bark are still visible.

Josiah Miller was born in Connecticut in 1801. In early life he worked at his trade in Savannah, Georgia before coming here in about 1835. In 1862, he built an addition to the Wood County Jail on West Indiana Avenue, and he no doubt had a hand in the building of other significant structures in town.

Miller served as a county commissioner, and a township trustee, was a member of the Methodist Church and a charter member of Phoenix Lodge, F. & A. M. He died in 1864 at age 65.

slide up button