425 East Second Street

The Stone House

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

The Stone House:

 

This attractive Greek Revival frame at 425 East Second Street is believed built sometime between 1836 and 1843 -- probably by a man by the name of Enos Stone about whom local records unfortunately reveal nothing. 

It is known, however, that several prominent early Perrysburg residents owned the property over the years. They include Jarvis Spafford, grandson of the man who surveyed what is now Cleveland and named Perrysburg and who himself (Jarvis) built the still standing Exchange Hotel building on West Front Street;

house

425 East Second Street

Dr. Erasmus D. Peck, cholera epidemic physician, businessman and U. S. Congressman; and Henry E. Averill who was an early student here, later builder of railroads in Ohio and Illinois, Toledo attorney and one of the auditors of John D. Rockefeller's Standard Oil Ohio Co. when it was headquartered in Cleveland.

The front entry, off-center as is frequently the case in this style of architecture, features sidelights and a three-pane transom. Both first story facade windows are extremely tall and narrow, with most of the others double-hung six over six with slightly pedimented or flat moldings. The roof has a wide overhang.

There is a small addition with a shed roof on the north end of the west elevation, along with a glass-walled sunroom in the rear. A screened porch has also been added on the east side of the house.

slide up button