510 West Front Street

The Perrin House

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

 

 

 

 

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object

 

Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage

get in touch

The Perrin House:

 

The Perrin House is a classic example of Gothic Revival architecture. It was built by a professional builder, Jonathon Perrin, who came here from Pennsylvania in 1827. The house is an extremely ornamental example with a decorative porch and steeply pitched intersecting gable roofline. The front gable windows have six-pane glass with Gothic moldings and ogee arches, and eight-panes in the secondary gable.

Perrin built a number of houses in Perrysburg, but most people are likely to agree that his best was this classic Gothic Revival at 510 West Front Street.

house

510 West Front Street

Jonathon Perrin was born in Pennsylvania in 1805 and came to Perrysburg in 1827 where he became a builder and contractor. The local paper of many years ago said that most of the better class of old frame residences in the village were constructed by him. How many remain and where they are is not known.

In addition to building, Mr. Perrin found time to be an organizer and director of the Perrysburg Steam Mill Association in 1835 and an organizer in 1865 of the Perrysburg Petroleum Company whose aim was "to bore and dig for oil, salt and other vegetable, medicinal and mineral fluids." In his later years he was agent for a stagecoach company whose route went through here.

Mr. Perrin was married to Amelia Wilkinson, daughter of Captain Jacob Wilkinson who brought his family to the Foot of the Rapids here even before the riverfront town of Orleans of the North was laid out. In a true-life thriller, the family escaped from the Indians and British by rowing in a rowboat from here to Cleveland at the outbreak of the War of 1812.

Sometime between 1840 and 1850 Perrin built the subject house on land he had owned for a number of years. It is an extremely ornamental house with a steep dominant gable roof and a back wing hipped roof. Six-pane windows with Gothic mouldings and ogee arches are in the front gable and eight-paned windows in the secondary gables. Curvilinear vergeboards with finials and pendants decorate the gables. The upper finial at the apex of the front gable resembles a pineapple, a symbol of hospitality in early America. The lower portion of the finial resembles an acorn, a popular motif in the Gothic tradition.

In 1929 the Toledo architectural firm of Britsch and Munger re-designed the exterior of the house, adding dormers and a side entrance on the east. They also rebuilt the porch.

Mr. Perrin died in 1876 at the age of 71.

slide up button