80 Locust Street
The Bingham-Foley House
Supporting the preservation and appreciation of Perrysburg's historic architectural heritage
The Bingham-Foley House:
One of the oldest homes in Perrysburg, at least the original Greek Revival portion of it, stands at 80 Locust Street. It is known as the Bingham-Foley House. Joseph J. Bingham was a forwarding and commission merchant whose business, so far as local records reveal, was across the river in Maumee. In 1836 he bought the lot the house sits on from John Hollister, one of the area's earliest settlers who owned much land along the river. That same year Bingham built a square hip-roofed one story cottage of four rooms and with wide corner pilasters.
80 Locust Street
A front porch is believed to have been added in the 1870s and this serves as the front part of the present house.
Further details are lacking on Bingham's life, so we devote the rest of this space to a subsequent owner, Dr. Norman J. Foley, who added substantial additions to the house during the 30 or 40 years he lived there.
Dr. Foley was born in Toledo and came to Perrysburg in 1926. Earlier, while still a medical student at the University of Michigan, he had been hired by Dr. William Rheinfrank as a summer assistant at the Rheinfrank Hospital here. Dr. Foley married Dr. Rheinfrank's daughter, Virginia, and became one of the leading thyroid surgeons in the area.
Dr. Foley, one of the youngest members to be admitted to the Fellows of the American College of Surgeons, joined the U. S. Army Medical Corps in 1942 and upon his discharge opened a practice in Toledo, eventually operating his own wing at Mercy Hospital. He retired in 1966. He served as a member of the Perrysburg Board of Education and died in 1969 while making his home at 3 Maple Street.
Two major additions were made to the original house under the guidance of local architect George Rheinfrank, Sr. Mrs. Foley's uncle. In the first, the front entry was moved to the south side as shown in this picture. Rooms were also added to the rear. The second addition was the two-story gabled portion with a back porch -- making, by design, a separate front, middle and back to the house.